Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Niskayuna- 1/22

trwdsd

I walked the Mohawk-Hudson bike path from Lions Park towards Lock 7 in Niskayuna this morning. At the Ferry Rd. bridge a short stretch of the Lisha Kill was open just wide enough for a Great Blue Heron to be fishing in the shallow water. I didn't find any field birds at Burger's Farm, but there was a large flock of Song Sparrows feeding along the grassy edges there. On the way back to Lions Park I heard, and then viewed, two Ruby-crowned Kinglets foraging in the tangled brush and vines along the frozen backwater adjacent to the bike path. The Mohawk River is almost completely frozen over after the last few days of very cold weather, so there were no waterfowl around.

Later in the morning I drove around Altamont and Knox looking for roadside birds, to no avail. There was a male Belted Kingfisher perched on a branch over Beaverdam Creek at the Knox Wetland on Street Rd.

Tom Williams
Colonie