G.H. Owl in W.C. Grasslands

Scott Varney

Birded Schuylerville to Northumberland and then to WC Grasslands. In Northumberland, Snow Buntings and Horned Larks were found everywhere along melted grassy/gravelly shoulder strips. There were 2 adult Bald Eagles within 3 feet of each other overlooking the Hudson River on Harris Road. In the WC Grasslands area, there seemed to be a steady flow of slow-driving birdwatchers, especially along Fitzpatrick Lane, presumably looking for Short-Eared Owls. I left the crowd after a quick gander and happened along a Great-Horned Owl perched right  along the road next to the Grasslands parking lot on Blackhouse Road. Got fantastic views in pretty good light. It was a first for my sister, Heidi. It was my first for this species in the Grasslands region.  My sister was so excited!

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem, NY