Albany County, 1/19

John Kent

This morning at Henry Hudson Park in Selkirk, I found a Winter Wren still hanging on. I heard it calling, then it showed itself well in response to pishing. I also saw the Northern Harrier that has been frequenting the fields to the south of park. Several groups of Common Mergansers as well as two Common Goldeneyes passed by, all headed south. Meanwhile, a steady stream of Ring-billed Gulls was moving north. A pair of Common Ravens that seem to live in Rensselaer County and work in Albany County showed up on schedule, flying west across the river together at sunrise.

At Coeymans Landing, the Mute Swan was present, eating the cracked corn that people put out for it. Of more interest, the woods south of the parking area were hopping. I found at least one Ruby-crowned Kinglet, at least three Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, and numerous more common birds.

Around midday I drove around in the Helderbergs. My only notable sighting there was a Rough-legged Hawk on Joslyn School Road in East Berne. On my way home, I found a flock of about 25 Snow Buntings in the fields on either side of Wemple Road in Glenmont, just east of Route 9W.

John Kent
Selkirk