Awareness - Site Fidelity

Richard Guthrie

There's lots of knowledge out there about site fidelity among birds - same individuals returning each spring for nesting, and identifiable individuals returning to the same wintering grounds.

There are some notable examples, such as an individual of a particularly rare species that returned each year. From around our area, there are these: Lesser Black-backed Gull, Iceland Gull, Barrow's Goldeneye, Eared Grebe, and so on.

Bird banders know that from returning birds banded years earlier.

The reason I bring this up here is that we can anticipate similar visitors.

The Pink-footed Goose comes to mind.

Naomi Lloyd found the one in Columbia County a couple of years ago. Then one (ok here's the stretch - maybe the same one ! ?) appeared right across the river in The Greene County last year.

So are there others?

Sure there are...

Do you know of a particular, individually identifiable bird, that has returned to your yard, patch, beach, park, etc. ?

Let me know by sharing the info - privately for now..

I hope to put together a compilation - with appropriate acknowledgments, in a upcoming edition of Kingbird, the birding journal of the NYS Ornithological Association.

Let's keep the page turners at the edge of their seats by sharing your information to me directly rather than putting it out piecemeal on line.

Of particular interest are also those nesting, slightly out of range, long distant migrants, such as returning Orchard Oriole, as well as the better known (or not) examples as mentioned.

Fun-on, Folks
--
Richard Guthrie
New Baltimore,