Henry Hudson half-hardies

John Kent

Yesterday morning in the snow at Henry Hudson Park in Selkirk, I found a mixed flock that included a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a Yellow-rumped Warbler. There were large flocks of blackbirds flying east across the river, but I couldn’t identify them to species. A Great Blue Heron came flying down the Vlomankill. This afternoon at the park, I found a Hermit Thrush and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. The kinglet was not in the same area as the one I saw yesterday, so it may have been a different one. Last week an immature Red-shouldered Hawk spent several days hanging around and feeding on a deer carcass. There have also been two Winter Wrens that I’ve seen or heard several times lately. I think I heard one today, but it was only doing single chip notes so I wasn’t sure. Last week one was singing, and they have been calling frequently. There have also been two or more Winter Wrens at Five Rivers the past couple of times I’ve been there.

John Kent
Selkirk