Horned Grebe's and Bald Eagles, Greenwich and Lake Lauderdale.

Scott Varney

While driving to and from work this week, I was noticing increasing numbers of waterfowl on the Battenkill River along Route 29 between the Village of Greenwich and east toward Battenville. Canada Geese are the predominant species, but today, I managed to pick out a solitary winter-plumaged Horned Grebe just west of the Greenwich Town Beach.

Also today at about 4pm, there was a second, similarly-plumaged Horned Grebe drifting along the Route 22 shoreline of Lake Lauderdale.

I should add that Bald Eagles have been observed routinely along the Battenkill from Greenwich to Salem every day this week. 'Tis the season!

Scott Varney
Salem NY