HMBC Field Trip reminder- Sat., Oct. 12 & Sun., Oct. 13

trwdsd

Saturday, October 12, THE BIG SIT! AT ANN LEE POND (Albany County; all day)

Coordinators: Tom and Colleen Williams 518-857-2176trwdsd@...

We will have registered a count circle for the 2019 Big Sit, which will be conducted from the open picnic area at the north end of Ann Lee Pond in Colonie. If you aren't familiar with the Big Sit, you'll find more information here:

https://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/connect/bigsit/about.php

https://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/connect/bigsit/rules.php

The idea is for a group of birders to observe as many species as possible in a 24-hour period from a 17-foot diameter circle set up in a strategically located spot. We will only attempt to do the daylight hours for our purposes. A small group of us will set up the location at 7:30 a.m. and staff it until noon. Anyone who wishes to come by at any point during the day is welcome!! Even if you can only stay for an hour, that will enable others to leave the circle for a short time to forage for food and facilities at nearby businesses. Bring a portable chair, your binoculars, and some snacks and drinks. If you want to stretch your legs, there is a nice loop trail around the pond, too. We hope to see you there! Map is here:

http://www.albanycounty.com/Government/Departments/RecreationDept/AnnLeePond.aspx

Sunday, October 13, FIVE RIVERS EEC (Albany County; morning)

Coordinator: John Kent 518-424-2234 jwkent@...

We’ll walk about 2 miles over generally flat terrain with some small hills, passing through a variety of habitats. Migrating sparrows are often abundant at this time of the year, with a good chance of Lincoln’s and White-crowned as well as more common species. Both species of kinglet may be present, as well as Yellow-rumped Warbler, Palm Warbler and Blue-headed Vireo. A late Nashville, Black-throated Green, Blackpoll or Magnolia Warbler might be found. Wood Duck and other waterfowl are possible, as well as Cooper’s and Sharp-shinned Hawks and Merlin. Wet grass and muddy spots may be encountered, so waterproof footwear is recommended.

Meet at 8:00 a.m. in the parking lot at Five Rivers EEC in Delmar.