Re: Which Redpoll in Clifton Park?

James Elbrecht

I think you're right. Darn 'juveniles'-- I knew when I saw it, it
was ringing some bells-- but none loud enough.

It is the first time I've used Merlin with a photo and was a bit
surprised that it didn't have a 'might also be' section. It *did*
point out that it would be a rare sighting for Clifton Park.

I zoomed the photo in a bit more and Merlin thought it might be a
Great Blue Heron. [really] The photo option doesn't seems as
valuable as the description mode.

Next time I try that I'll be sure to have a better photo.

Thank you for your quick response-- This list is invaluable!

Jim

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 14:54:37 -0400, you wrote:

This appears to be a juvenile Eastern bluebird. The bill is thin and dark,
both of which aren’t right for any redpoll. Either redpoll would be rare
in September. I think Merlin is having trouble due to the pixelation of
your photograph.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 2:50 PM James Elbrecht <elbrecht@...> wrote:

Was at the Grand-daughter's softball game this morning at the Miss
Shen fields in Clifton Park.

This guy landed right behind us- and Merlin ID's it from the photo as
a Hoary Redpoll. I'd lean towards 'Common', but welcome opinions
if this photo is any help. It was hanging around most of the
morning 'tjweet'-ing

I'm pleased with either-

Thanks,
Jim