HMBC Field Trips reminder- Sat. 9/14 & Sun. 9/15

trwdsd

Saturday, September 14, HAWK WATCHING AND SONGBIRDS AT THACHER STATE PARK (Albany County; morning)

Coordinator: Gary Goodness 518-862-9260 goodness@...

We will be looking for migrating Broad-winged Hawks that use the warming air thermals along the face of the escarpment to continue their migration south. Other raptors may be seen using the thermals for similar reasons. Osprey, Bald Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks, Sharp-shinned and Coopers Hawks are among those that can be seen soaring over the Helderbergs. Ruby-throated Hummingbirds also migrate over the escarpment very low and fast, and sparrows and warblers can also be found along the trails around the overlook.

Meet at 9:30 a.m. in front of the Key Bank at the southwest corner of Routes 20 and 155 in Guilderland.

Sunday, September 15, FALL MIGRANTS AT ALBANY PINE BUSH PRESERVE (Albany County; morning)

Coordinators: Tom and Colleen Williams 518-857-2176 trwdsd@...

We will explore the Karner Barrens East unit of Albany Pine Bush Preserve, via the "yellow" perimeter trail, and "blue" dune overlook trail. We will be looking for warblers, vireos, and flycatchers. The dune overlook trail has a moderate climb and descent. This is approximately a three-mile loop. Take proper precautions to avoid ticks.

Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center parking lot, located at 195 New Karner Rd. (Rt. 155) in Albany.