HMBC Field Trips reminder- Sat. 9/7 & Sun. 9/8

trwdsd

Saturday, September 7, ALBANY RURAL CEMETERY (Albany County; morning)

Coordinator: Tristan Lowery 646-323-8914 tristanlowery@...

Albany Rural Cemetery in the Town of Colonie is one of the most historic burial grounds in the United States – and it’s also a great place for birding in a beautifully-landscaped, park-like setting.

We’ll visit Albany Rural Cemetery at the very onset of the peak weeks for fall songbird migration, so a variety of southbound warblers, vireos, kinglets, and flycatchers may be possible, in addition to many year-round species. Depending on where the birding takes us along the cemetery’s meandering trails, we may also find ourselves by the graves of such national and local luminaries as 21st President of the United States Chester A. Arthur, Erastus Corning and Erastus Corning 2nd, Daniel Manning, Erastus Dow Palmer, Stephen Van Rensselaer, and Thurlow Weed.

Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the cemetery chapel and mausoleum. From Broadway (NY-32) HEADING north through Menands, turn left onto Cemetery Avenue at the prominent Albany Rural Cemetery gate. Continue west on Cemetery Avenue, keeping right at the St. Agnes Cemetery gate and continue past the Albany Rural Cemetery office to the chapel. There is adequate visitor parking at the chapel.

Sunday, September 8, HAND HOLLOW CONSERVATION AREA (Columbia County; morning)

Coordinator: Marion Sole 203-710-9096 mrnsole7@...

Columbia Land Conservancy owns and manages 433 acres at Hand Hollow Conservation Area for the protection of wildlife and open space. The property has an active beaver pond and two lakes, and trails that pass by ponds, creeks, wet meadows and a hemlock ravine. We will be looking for migrant songbirds as well as lingering residents.

Meet 8:00 am at the parking lot. From the intersection of Route 22 and 20 in New Lebanon, take US 20 4.5 miles to CR 9. Take CR 9 south 1.2 miles and turn west (right) into a parking lot at the farmhouse just past the pond.