St Mary's Cemetery delight

Ronald Harrower

It was good to get out this evening and have the triple treat of Common Nighthawk, Red-shouldered Hawk and Olive-sided Flycatcher. With my Dad's health going down and finally his passing, I haven't had as much time to get out. Despite the fun challenges of identifying and listing birds in the field, there is a spiritual element that lifts the spirits and helps one feel a deeper connection to Nature and the force behind that. I love seeing Common Nighthawks butterflying around. Thank you...

t Mary's Cemetery, Saratoga, New York, US
Sep 1, 2019 6:22 PM - 7:07 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments:     I was talking to a friend and walking around the roads in St Mary's Cemetery, next to my home in Ballston Spa. I was mostly looking for Common Nighthawks, and was grateful to find three butterflying around, only one flew close enough to get good(wish) photos. Checked a hawk flying over and saw it was a Red-shouldered Hawk. A pair has been in the area all Summer. The coolest bird of the night I almost missed. I saw a flycatcher on a snag in the woods at he back of the cemetery, I was hearing an Eastern Wood Pewee, but decided to check this one out. Photos confirmed an Olive-sided Flycatcher. A good evening.
18 species

Mourning Dove  2
Common Nighthawk  3
Ring-billed Gull  15     I don't see gulls of any kind very often around my house, so was surprised to see a flock heading Northeast (probably to Saratoga lake which is 4-5 miles in that direction
Red-shouldered Hawk  1     Have been around all Summer. More often hear them calling. See them more often on Him Smith Trail near trailhead  at Oak Street
Olive-sided Flycatcher  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
European Starling  4
Eastern Bluebird  5     Have been around the cemetery al Summer. Have seen young grow up
American Robin  1
American Goldfinch  1
Chipping Sparrow  15     Flock has been coming together more in past couple of weeks They have been around cemetery and our neighborhood on general since early Spring
Common Grackle  4     Been in neighborhood more lately. Had 20 in my yard this morning
Northern Cardinal  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59446147

St Mary's Cemetery, Saratoga, New York, US