Migration general

Lindsey Duval

Seems like migration is kicking right in! The radar the past few nights has been quite busy and I have woken up in the middle of the night to hear the NFCs. It's very exciting!

Yesterday and the day before I visited Coon's Crossing (Zim-Smith Trail) by Round Lake. The first day I didn't really notice any movement, although caught sight of 4 Green Herons, all amusingly with fuzzy little mohawks. The trail was loaded with Red-eyed Vireos, which didn't quite seem the usual there. There was also a Solitary Sandpiper in the canal but that is possibly a breeding resident. 

Yesterday when I visited again there were NO Red-eyed Vireos, and an increase in Warbling Vireos. Also, both days I heard the churring call of Swainson's Thrush. There were two additional Green Herons. And, my best sighting, was a female or immature male MOURNING WARBLER who popped up onto a shrub to get a good look at me, chipping the whole time. I did not find it on my way back, so it likely had continued on its way or went foraging.

Yesterday afternoon I visited Shenantaha Creek Park which was very quiet except for Giant Swallowtails. Close to 7 PM 4 Common Nighthawks quietly flew over.

This morning I visited Bog Meadow Brook Trail and found 4 MAGNOLIA WARBLERS loafing around eating little green caterpillars! There were also 2 GREEN-WINGED TEALS hanging around the pond. A Least Flycatcher perched right in front of my face, doing the perfect Sibley Guide pose. I walked the whole length of the trail and thought it was fairly quiet otherwise, and then realized all of the Yellow Warblers were totally gone. 

Happy migration,

Lindsey D. 

Join hmbirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.