Carter's Lake Birds

Scott Varney

Visited Carter's Lake today in Cossayuna/Greenwich/Argyle right after the thunderstorm and hiked the trails with thunder still rumbling. Found 3 Osprey, (fantastic diving displays) 4 Great Blue Herons, 7 Wood Ducks, 2 Common Yellowthroats, 1 Pileated Woodpecker and heard 2 different Great-Crested Flycatchers. Best sighting of the day was non-avian but exciting...a group of 3 Hummingbird Moths happily feeding on the nectar of a cluster of Pickerelweed  flowers. I haven't seen this species in a few years and I was blessed with 3 of them today!

With every beautiful moment such as this, I am reminded of the fact that my camera had been recently stolen at Montezuma NWR (mid-August)  If anyone hears of any "too good to be true" deals on a Canon 7D camera with a Canon 300 mm fixed zoom lens, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem, NY