HMBC Field Trip reminder- Sat.-Sun.-Mon. May 25-27

trwdsd

Saturday, May 25, NORMANSKILL FARM (Albany County; morning)

Coordinator: Tristan Lowery 646-323-8914 tristanlowery@...

Normanskill Farm is a city-owned park and farm that offers a variety of habitat for birding within the City of Albany. During spring migration, the woodland trails, grassy fields, and gardens are ideal for finding flycatchers, vireos, thrushes, sparrows, and orioles. Two dozen species of warblers have been recorded here in recent years (including Hooded and Mourning). The Normanskill Creek occasionally attracts waterfowl, shorebirds, and large numbers of swifts and swallows.

Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the Normanskill Farm parking lot on Mill Rd. From Delaware Avenue heading south, turn left on Mill Road just before the bridge over the Normanskill Creek. Parking lot is on the left ¼ mile along Mill Road.

Sunday, May 26, FOX HILL RD. (Saratoga County; morning)

Coordinator:John Hershey 518-371-3114 hersheyj@...

On this trip we will travel through the remote forested and wetland areas along Desolation Lake Rd. and Fox Hill Rd. in Saratoga County. We will bird from the roadside, and explore areas recently acquired by New York State for conservation and recreation. Higher elevation breeders will be the main target. As many as 15 or more breeding warbler species are possible including Nashville, Canada, and Mourning Warbler. Other breeding species that have been seen in the past include American Bittern, Northern Goshawk, Broad-winged Hawk, and Swainson’s Thrush.

Because we will be birding from the road, it will be necessary to share vehicles and to limit the number of participants to 16. Waterproof footwear is recommended. Contact the coordinator for reservations, and other information.

Meet at the Saratoga County Airport parking lot off Geyser Rd. at 7:30 a.m.

Monday, May 27, PARTRIDGE RUN WMA (Albany County; morning)

Coordinator: Zach Schwartz-Weinstein zachsw@...

Map: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/86068.html

We will explore southwestern Albany County’s higher elevation habitat for late and breeding migrants. Likely spots include Partridge Run Wildlife Management Area and Rensselaerville State Forest. In the past, this trip has turned up numerous breeding warblers and flycatchers, as well as rare and uncommon breeding species. Trails are rocky, hilly, and often muddy. Expect to walk some distance.

Meet at 6:30 a.m. at the New Scotland Town Hall, located on State Route 85 in New Scotland. We will carpool to the destinations from there.