HMBC Field Trip reminder- Sat., May 4th & Sun., May 5th

trwdsd

Saturday, May 4, STILLWATER SCHOOL NATURE TRAIL/LOCK 4 STATE CANAL PARK (Saratoga & Rensselaer Counties; morning)

Coordinator: Naomi Lloyd 518-596-5964 naomi_kestrel@...

The Stillwater Schools Nature Trail has an expansive open marsh on the north side, with Green Heron, Virginia Rail, and Sora present. Least Bittern is also possible. The wetland continues along the south side but is not as open. The wide trail continues to the Hudson where it turns left and follows the river through a deciduous forest where we will look for migrant songbirds.

We will then travel south about 1.7 miles to Lock 4 State Canal Park to check rocky shoals on the Hoosic River for shorebirds and walk the woodlands around the Lock.

Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the trail entrance. Turn off Rt 4 in Stillwater at the road to the school complex, and drive to the end. The trail starts at a chain link gate.

Sunday, May 5, HARLEM VALLEY RAIL TRAIL (Columbia County; morning)

Coordinator: Marian Sole 203-710-9096 mrnsole7@... (Joint trip with the Alan DeVoe Bird Club.)

This former railroad bed has been turned into a paved public trail, running north to south through extreme southeastern Columbia County. We’ll walk a mile or so on a portion of the trail that is home to many woodland species. Cerulean Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler, and Hooded Warbler have all been observed in the area in recent years.

Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the Under Mountain Road parking area. From the north: Taconic Parkway south to Route 23. Take Rt. 23 east to Hillsdale and pick up Route 22 south at the stop light. Take Route 22 south from Hillsdale 8.6 miles to Under Mountain Road. Under Mountain Road is on your left, five-tenths of a mile past the Citgo gas station located at the intersection of Route 22 and Columbia County Route 3. There is a bright blue sign just before Under Mountain Road directing motorists to the trail. Turn left on to Under Mountain Road (if you pass the scenic pull-off along Route 22, you’ve missed the turn for Under Mountain Road). Proceed three-tenths of a mile to the trail parking lot on your left.