Field trip report - Galway Nature Preserve

Ellen

Ten of us visited Galway Nature Preserve Sunday morning for an HMBC field trip.   The first birds of the day were right in the preserve parking lot:  an Eastern Phoebe with a large insect in its bill, a swooping Tree Swallow, and a vocal Red-Bellied Woodpecker.  Oddly enough, the Red-Bellied Woodpecker and a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker seen by some members of the group were the only woodpeckers we encountered all day.

Warbler species were rather sparse.  We heard several Ovenbirds, Common Yellowthroats, and Chestnut-Sided Warblers, and enjoyed nice views of the one of the Ovenbirds on a snag.  We heard but did not see Indigo Bunting, and most of the group observed a singing Scarlet Tanager.

For the second year in a row, an Eastern Wood-Pewee’s nest was found, albeit in a different location from last year.

Other highlights included a Broad-Winged Hawk flying over a pond; singing Veery and Wood Thrush; and a Bobolink in the adjacent farm fields.

Thanks for Naomi for compiling the eBird report below.

Galway Nature Preserve, Saratoga, New York, US

Jun 17, 2018 8:00 AM - 10:20 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.5 mile(s)

Comments:     HMBC field trip

33 species (+2 other taxa)

Mallard  5

Great Blue Heron  2

Turkey Vulture  1

Northern Harrier  1     circling high over fields

Broad-winged Hawk  1

Mourning Dove  3

Red-bellied Woodpecker  1

diurnal raptor sp.  1

Eastern Wood-Pewee  3

Empidonax sp.  1

Eastern Phoebe  1     Nesting in eaves of shed

Red-eyed Vireo  3

Blue Jay  2

American Crow  2

Tree Swallow  3