Sora, Virginia Rail, Owls. eBird Report - SSSP Carlsbad Rec Area, May 5, 2018

Ronald Harrower

SSSP Carlsbad Rec Area, Saratoga, New York, US
May 5, 2018 6:55 PM - 8:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.2 mile(s)
Comments: Went from SW gate of the Park down past the pond with the decaying boy scout blind, and down to old Landfill area. Heard, then saw my first Rose-breasted Grosbeak and the a Wood Thrush calling. Several years ago, I sat down at the base of the old landfill hill that fronts onto a large marsh that surrounds Geyser Brook as it meanders through. I heard a Sora, a Virginia Rail and an American Bittern calling at the same time. I have tried many times since and had none of them, Susan B's report earlier this week reporting a Sora heard there encouraged this trip. I didn't hear the American Bittern this time, but I did hear two Soras and 2 Virginia Rails, though not all at the the same time. I moved back up the hill and sat and listened as it turned dusk for Woodcock. Alas, none by the time I had to go. I did hear a Barred owl off to the far right side looking down the hill and a Great-horned Owl behind my and to the right. A very happy evening
32 species

Canada Goose 5
Mallard 2 waddling down the trail ahead of me until they went off into a vernal pool
Great Blue Heron 1
Virginia Rail 2
Sora 2
Mourning Dove 2
Great Horned Owl 1
Barred Owl 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1 Heard squeaky toy sound as I waited for Woodcock
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 1