Northern Goshawk?

Louis J. Suarato

While visiting the Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy’s Restifo Preserve in Westerlo recently, I observed a greyish-white hawk circling the pond across the road from the Preserve. The medium, to large hawk, periodically dove down into the high grass surrounding the pond while circling. It dove into the grass at the far end of the pond and remained there for 15 minutes before circling again, flying at eye level, coming very close to the car I was in. I could tell by the wings it was an accipiter. Does this behavior sound like that of a northern goshawk?

Louis J. Suarato