Vischer Ferry and blackbirds

Craig Driggs

Along the towpath at Vischer Ferry Preserve this morning, I heard a singing Eastern Phoebe and Winter Wren. Water levels were high with tons of waterfowl, including Northern Pintail (8), Gadwall (2), Northern Shoveler (3), Bufflehead (12). Also there was a beaver loudly smacking its tail on the water by the whipple bridge.

Wednesday evening I saw a huge, noisy blackbird flock on Route 9J just north of Staats Island Rd. They were covering the trees, in the fields and flying around in large groups. The ones I could see in the trees, I estimated to number about 10,000. It was quite the sight.

Craig