Geese to Owls

Jeff Nadler

Thanks to Liz for sharing the Greater white-fronted geese sighting, a nice close encounter with photos to share.  Also, the wintering snowy owls in multiple local counties have provided an opportunity to responsibly observe behavior and even natural harassment by other birds.  I've observed snow owls screeching in response to harassment by red-tailed hawks, northern harrier, a ugh-legged hawk, and of course crows. The only time I saw a snowy owl go after another raptor was recently, a short-eared owl in hunting flight was briefly pursued by a snowy owl.

Also, male red-winged blackbirds are back at Collins Lake, Scotia, Schenectady County.

Jeff Nadler