eBird Report - Washington County Grasslands SF Area trail, Jan 18, 2018

Ronald Harrower

Washington County Grasslands SF Area trail, Washington, New York, US
Jan 18, 2018 8:30 AM - 11:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
Comments: John Hershey and I went up to the grasslands to observe recently reported Snowy Owls and other Winter specialties. In the foreground of our minds was the recent hubbub surrounding "rogue" photographers who have disturbed owls and gone across private property. Both being somewhat introverted, we took it to heart and did our best to stay in approved observation areas and be considerate of other drivers when we stopped. We did see two Snowy Owls, both at a distance. One was way out on a fence pole in a huge field seen from Plum Rd and Rte 197. The other was in a gully and then a field behind the Little Theater. It never came closer and we never ventured out, leaving us with okay photos, and clear consciences. We saw a Light phased Rough-legged Hawk which was right by Mahaffy Rd. There was also an adult Bald Eagle in a tree on East Rd.
18 species

Bald Eagle 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 6
Rough-legged Hawk 5 3 Dark-phased and 2 Light-phased. The first Dark-phased was behind the Little Theater all morning. When the Snowy Owl went into the field nearby, the hawk did a couple of fly by's to let the owl know t was on the hawk's territory. At one point, the owl jumped up in a defensive posture.
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 120
Mourning Dove 8
Snowy Owl 2 Both fairly dark, with one observer saying in was the darkest he had ever seen in his many years of birding
Downy Woodpecker 1
American Kestrel 1
Blue Jay 7
American Crow 75
Common Raven 9 Literally on Mmhaffy Rd and in nearby trees. Quite vocal
Black-capped Chickadee 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
European Starling 200
Dark-eyed Junco 16