eBird Report - Ruffed Grouse Peregrine Lake Desolation SF, Jan 10, 2018

Ronald Harrower

Lake Desolation SF, Saratoga, New York, US
Jan 10, 2018 8:40 AM - 10:35 AM
Protocol: Traveling
7.0 mile(s)
Comments: In a very clear, calm, 5 degree morning, I headed up to Lake Desolation and drove to Edinburg Bridge. I was in search of Winter Finches as usual, and did find a few Pine Siskins mixed with Goldfinches. However, once I was underway, the birds I saw and heard filled me with happiness along with the deep quiet, not experienced much in the recent very windy weather. My first big surprise followed hearing some crackly noises at a place I stopped just beyond the big bridge. I looked all around the woods and finally look up to see a Roughed Grouse just before it coasted off into the woods. At the end of the road was is the Edinburg Bridge with a Peregrine Falcon as sentinel in a tree just before the bridge goes over Sacandaga Lake. The bird was initially looking out over the lake, but turned and looked at me. Moving.
17 species

Ruffed Grouse 1
Mourning Dove 4
Downy Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 2 Flew across the road and landed in swampy woods where road bends through the wetlands (where calla lilies are in May)
Peregrine Falcon 1
Blue Jay 11
American Crow 1
Common Raven 2