Winter Field Birds

jhershey2

This afternoon I was checking some of the familiar spots where manure spreads can attract winter field birds.  I didn't have any luck at the usual places in the Northumberland and Schuylerville area, but with a previous report from Ron H. I found about 100 Horned Larks and just one Snow Bunting at Selfridge and Clark Rd. in the Town of Moreau.  Then I discovered another spread on W. River Rd. just north of Ballard in Northumberland with an estimated 100 Horned Larks.  Finally, on Sarle Hill Rd. (Town of Easton) at Sunset View Farm west of the intersection with Rt. 40 I found a feeding frenzy of about 300 Horned Larks.  Unfortunately, I found only one Snow Bunting and no Lapland Longspurs for the afternoon.

John H.