Salem area Snow Buntings

Scott Varney

Once again on a quest for fun winter birds, I canvassed the area from my house in Salem, NY to Cambridge, Shushan, and then to Hebron with my best bud, Charles ( my Bulldog). Best birds of the day included a flock of 20 Wild Turkeys making a point of staying off the snow while perched in a grove of Buttonwood trees. I also observed approx 30 Snow Buntings and 50 Horned Larks on Legrys Road in Cambridge (near the airport). A dozen Blue Jays, Juncos everywhere, a couple Cardinals, and 1 3rd Year Bald Eagle on a section of open water on White Creek on Route 153 near the Rupert, VT border.

For anyone looking for a beautiful Sunday drive with open water and amazing rural scenery, check out the drive from Cambridge to Arlington, VT...most of the Battenkill is fully open with flowing water (despite these booger-freezing temperatures)...absolutely breathtaking with stunning panoramas. It's a good time to see this region!

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem, NY