eBird Report - Snowy Owls Hockey Club Building, Jan 3, 2018

Ronald Harrower

Hockey Club Building, Albany, New York, US
Jan 3, 2018 7:15 AM - 9:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Comments: Encouraged by many recent posts about Snowy Owls at the airport (particularly Lic C.'s) Jeff and I stationed ourselves in the Hockey Club parking lot at sunrise. Within half an hour, we saw two owls flying near the main runways meeting point. Shortly after, one flew right at us on the bluff. As it came towards us and then past, we were like the Keystone Cops of bird photography. We had trouble getting cameras ready in time, then having the shutter go. Got a shot of bird flying away. We then saw three separate owls sitting on number and letter signs and on the ground. ( it was revealed to us later that the first owl we saw landed on the ground beyond parking lot out of sight and stayed there. So, we conclude that there are 4 Snowy Owls at the airprt
6 species

Red-tailed Hawk 2
Rough-legged Hawk 1 1 Light-phased hawk landed in a tree at south end of airport property.
Snowy Owl 4 Explained above. In responding to questioning pf tis number of owls, we saw them and there is a history of multiple owls at Albany airport in irruption years
Downy Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 24

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41603981