ULSTER/DUTCHESS (NYUD) CBC 2017 overview

forsythnature

Greetings All,
  The seventh annual Ulster/Dutchess (NYUD) Christmas Bird Count was conducted on Wednesday, December 27th, 2017.  We’ve been fortunate, for continuity sake, to hold this count within a three day window from 12/26-12/28. 41 birders in 14 field parties along with two feeder watchers observed a new high total of 95 species (+2 cw species) for the NYUD CBC.  The 20,792 individual birds counted were nearly 3000 more than our average for the previous six counts and represented our second highest total (23,039 in 2011). Of the species that have appeared three or more years on this count seventeen species were recorded at a new high number and six species at a new low total.  To illustrate how complete a team effort this year’s count was an outstanding seven species were added to our composite NYUD list from seven different sectors!  This raised our composite total after seven counts to 120 species. Exceptional finds included a soaring Golden Eagle in Sector E, a vocalizing Long-eared Owl in Sector G, an unexpected Red-headed Woodpecker in Sector J, two cooperative Lapland Longspurs in Sector D, and a female White-winged Scoter in Sector F.  Two species, a House Wren in Sector B and an Iceland Gull in Sector I moved from “CW” historical status to join us on count day.

  Temperatures ranged from 2 degrees at 6:00 a.m. (having dropped from 8 degrees at the start of our nocturnal effort at 4:00 a.m.) to a balmy 26 degrees mid-day.  Luckily diurnal birders basked in a sun-filled day with calm winds.  Standing bodies of water were iced over but the Hudson and it’s tributaries within the circle remained open and definitely helped field parties locate a very respectable 16 species of waterfowl.  Three inches of a powdery snow cover was rare for the NYUD and surely helped to consolidate sparrows roadside and maybe even aid in our record number of Snow Buntings.

   A big “thank you” as always to Steve Chorvas for inputting and arranging all the data for this count and to all those who cooked, baked, and cleaned up to lessen the load for my now very pregnant wife.  Also a special thanks to Dave Hayes for providing a beautiful facelift to our sector maps.  Finally, to all those in the field (as listed below) congratulations and thank you on our most productive and successful count yet.  Included with participants are notable bird species from each sector.

Respectfully submitted,
Mark DeDea
co-compiler NYUD CBC

  SAVE THE DATE:  SATURDAY, DECEMBER 29TH 2018 ULSTER/DUTCHESS (NYUD) CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT

Sector A (West Saugerties) 41 species  2,048 individuals
Corey Finger, Vanessa Lane, George Moxham, and Mary Moxham
Rusty Blackbird, Winter Wren, Field Sparrow, and Hermit Thrush

Sector B (Saugerties) B1N 48 species  1,674 individuals  B2S  48 species  925 individuals
B1N Alan Beebe, Doreen Beebe (fw), and Steve Chorvas  B2S Gilbert Thomson and Tyrell Thomson
Mute Swan, Cackling Goose, Northern Pintail, Snow Bunting, House Wren, Gray Catbird, 10 Yellow-rumped Warblers, and Great Black-backed Gull

Sector C (Cheviot)  44 species  2175 individuals
Greg Esch and George Steele
Black Vulture, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and 336 American Robin

Sector D (Kerleys Corners)  53 species  3224 individuals
Susan Fox Rogers and Peter Schoenberger
Lapland Longspur, Purple Finch, White-crowned Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, Field Sparrow, Horned Lark, and Snow Bunting

Sector E (Woodstock) E1 26 species 388 individuals  E2 38 species 614 individuals
E1 Allan Bowdery and Dan Porter  E2 Dixon Onderdonk, Loren Quinby, and Dan Spencer
Peregrine Falcon and Golden Eagle

Sector F (Lake Katrine)  44 species  1708 individuals
Lynn Bowdery, Lin Fagan, and Jane Simmons
White-winged Scoter,  Northern Pintail, Snow Goose, and Horned Lark

Sector G (Annandale-on-Hudson) G1 58 species 1895 individuals G2  16 species  262 individuals
G1 Jim Clinton, Jess Prockup, Jim Prockup, and Mathew Rymkiewicz  G2 Doug Bean, Carol Fredericks, and Ken Fredericks
Long-eared Owl, Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, Black Vulture, Field Sparrow, and Rusty Blackbird

Sector H (Red Hook) H1N 38 species  1022 individuals  H2S  34 species  606 individuals
H1N Adrienne Popko and Chet Vincent  H2S Barbara Butler, Jim Closs, Ginny Collins, Roberta Dopson, and Dominic Sherony
Chipping Sparrow, Rough-legged Hawk, and Ring-necked Pheasant

Sector I (Kingston)  61 species  2952 individuals
Charlotte Adamis, Mark DeDea, Annie Mardiney, and Donna Seymour
Snowy Owl, Iceland Gull, Killdeer, Eastern Towhee, Red-breasted Merganser, and Great Blue Heron

Sector J (Rhinebeck) 52 species  1299 individuals
Dave Hayes, Rodney Johnson, Deb Kral, and Wendy Tocci
Red-headed Woodpecker, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Canvasback, Fish Crow, Greater Scaup, and Peregrine Falcon