Rough-legged Hawks

John Kent

I saw 6 or 7 Rough-legged Hawks on a drive around Coxsackie today. First I saw one hunting on both sides of River Road in Coeymans, near the LaFarge conveyor. At River Road Grasslands in Coxsackie, there was one dark morph perched in a tree well southwest of the viewing/parking area. At Industrial Parkway, there was one hunting the fields on the west side of the road. Next I found one on Flint Mine Road near 9W, then another in a field on the east side of 9W about a mile north of Flint Mine. Then I saw two more over the fields behind Save A Lot and Serta. I think one of those, a dark morph, might have been the same one I saw earlier from River Road. Otherwise, it was pretty quiet. I only saw a couple of Red-tailed Hawks, and no harriers or anything else of note.

John Kent
Selkirk