Albany County waterfowl, 10/20

John Kent

I was at Basic Creek Reservoir in Westerlo this afternoon. There is an extensive blue-green algae bloom in progress there - in the past week it has gotten worse and appears to cover much of the reservoir. Duck numbers seem low. There are over 200 Ruddy Ducks, but they're scattered around, presumably in the spots without algae. There was an American Coot hanging out with Ruddys north of the causeway, and a Pied-billed Grebe way up at the north end. Also present were Ring-necked Ducks, Green-winged Teal, Hooded Mergansers, Wood Ducks, Northern Pintail, American Wigeon, American Black Ducks, Great Blue Heron, and Greater Yellowlegs. The three Mute Swans that have been there for a long time were not there today. There was very little land bird activity.

I checked Alcove Reservoir from the spillway and saw nothing but two Canada Geese and a very distant gull.

Stanton Pond in Coeymans had the usual - Mallards, Gadwall, Northern Pintail, American Wigeon, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, and Canada Goose. No shorebirds, not even Killdeer.

John Kent
Selkirk