Long tailed Ducks. eBird Report - Saratoga Lake, Oct 17, 2017

Ronald Harrower

Saratoga Lake, Saratoga, New York, US
Oct 17, 2017 1:55 PM
Protocol: Incidental
Comments: Was coming back from an appointment and thought O'd check the Lake. It was windy and the water choppy. Long-tailed Ducks were out in the middle
1 species

Long-tailed Duck 5 I could see them more clearly with scope. I saw they were diving ducks that stayed close together an dove and popped up on unison. This matched behaviour I've seen LT Ducks doing. 4 of the 5 dicks had all white covering the top of their heads. This is a field mark for Winter plumaged Make LT Ducks. The 5th had more black, consistent with female LT Duck

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40001139