Owls

Richard Guthrie

There are a number of interesting owl reports coming into the eBird queue.

Among those worth mentioning are Long-eared and Saw-whet Owls from Greene and Ulster Counties, and Barred Owls from several locations.

I'm sure there are others as they are setting up their winter territories.

If you do go out to listen, try to get a recording - especially of suspected Long-eared Owls since they have quite a variety of calls from good ol' hoots to blood-curdling screeches and screams. A simple recording from a "smart" phone would usually suffice for verification purposes.

As usual, please report any encounters on eBird. I promise to go gentle with reviews.
--
Richard Guthrie