Southern Albany County, 10/1

John Kent

Waterfowl numbers and diversity are beginning to build. At Basic Creek Reservoir in Westerlo this morning, I counted 66 Ruddy Ducks. Otherwise, there were Green-winged Teal, American Wigeon, Canada Geese, Wood Ducks, Mallards, a couple of Hooded Mergansers, and the three Mute Swans that have been there for weeks. No Ring-necked Ducks yet. I had both species of kinglets and about five Eastern Phoebes, otherwise there wasn't a lot of songbird activity. Kingfishers and Great Blue Herons continue.

From the Alcove spillway the only waterfowl visible were a couple of Canada Geese.

At Stanton Pond, there were three Northern Shovelers, two Northern Pintails, at least one Gadwall, and plenty of American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal, Mallards, and Canada Geese. Numerous Killdeer continue, and two Pectoral Sandpipers flew in while I was there. I believe there was a falcon around, based on seeing a few pigeon panics, but I never saw it. When we had the big snowstorm in March after Killdeer had arrived, I was wondering whether we would notice a population decrease. Based on what I've been seeing lately, their numbers seem at least as high as usual.

John Kent
Selkirk