They're Back!!! eBird Report - Loughberry Lake, Sep 30, 2017

Ronald Harrower

Loughberry Lake, Saratoga, New York, US
Sep 30, 2017 1:30 PM - 1:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: Was stopping by Loughberry Lake to check for Sassafras leaves and cast an eye on the lake. I'm glad I did. The "real" ducks are coming back. The first Ring-necked Ducks have arrived and based on previous years' observations, the number should rise until the lake freezes. There were a few Lesser Scaup as well.
12 species

Canada Goose 7
Mallard 6
Ring-necked Duck 35 As mentioned in note, the Ring-necked Ducks come here every Autumn, slowly building numbers into the high hundreds in some years. These ducks were in the Northern end of the lake. There are a lot of snails in Loughberry lake, a favorite food of Ring-necked Ducks
Lesser Scaup 4 One female hanging out with Canada Geese opposite Howe Street The others were with Ring-necked Ducks at Northern end
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 5