eBird Report - Saratoga Spa SP, Sep 7, 2017

Ronald Harrower

As I wrote in my ebird report, I ran into a migrant fallout that was only surpassed by a trip to Cape May one September. I worked fast with binoculars and camera to ID as many as I could, but am lucky if I got 10% of the birds flitting through trees along main dirt/gravel road back to old landfill.
Also very cool was a Red-shouldered Hawk calling frequently all the way down as far as you can go on math path. While making a recording, a Great-horned Owl chimed in.
Other notables were another daylight Common Nighthawk and a Sharp-shinned Hawk.
Not feeling well these days, but days like this are restorative. Just watching Warblers so busily working the trees. So alive and so transient.
Ron

Saratoga Spa SP, Saratoga, New York, US
Sep 7, 2017 11:20 AM - 1:44 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.2 mile(s)
Comments: Walked main road back from Carlsbad Picnic area. Checked side paths and went as far as I could on path beyond old landfill. It was at the fence preventing further walking that I heard a Red-shouldered Hawk calling often. While recording on my phone, a Great-horned Owl started calling. Quality isn't great, but both can be heard. On way back down main gravel road, I hit a huge migrant flock. I saw and identified a lot, but know it was only the top of the iceberg. Only at Cape May in NJ have I seen more migrants at one time.
40 species

Mallard 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk (lineatus Group) 1