HMBC Huyck Preserve trip

John Kent

Despite the cold start this morning, birds were active when we arrived at Huyck Preserve in Rensselaerville (Albany County). The water level in Myosotis Lake was fairly low, making for good shorebird habitat at the north end. We had Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, and Solitary, Spotted, and Least Sandpipers, along with more than twenty Killdeer. As often happens there, almost all of the songbird activity was concentrated in the willow trees right next to the shorebird habitat. While looking back and forth between the mudflats and the trees, we had Cape May, Bay-breasted, and Black-throated Green Warblers, as well as Common Yellowthroat, American Redstart, and Northern Parula. Black-and-white Warbler was heard singing in a couple of spots, as was Red-eyed Vireo. Some saw a Least Flycatcher. Raptors were absent, other than a Cooper's/Sharp-shinned Hawk that some saw briefly. There were no waterfowl except Canada Geese.

John Kent
Selkirk