Meet at New Scotland Town Hall
Date:
September 2, 2017 - 8:00am - 12:00pm
Coordinator: John Kent 424-2234 jwkent@...
We will walk the shore of Myosotis Lake looking for migrating warblers, vireos, kinglets, and
flycatchers in the shrubby habitat of the Lake Trail. Bald Eagles, all three local falcon species,
and several species of hawks have been seen on some of the past years' trips. Depending on
the water level, the mudflats at the north end of the lake often host migrating shorebirds. It may
be necessary to walk through some mud to get a view, so be prepared. From there we will
continue through the woods to Lincoln Pond, where we will check for waterfowl and herons. The
total walking distance is around 1.5 miles.
Meet for carpooling at 8:00 a.m. at New Scotland Town Hall on Route 85. Parking at Myosotis Lake is limited.

Leader or Speaker:
Gary Goodness/Tom Williams
Location of Event:
Meet at bank, Rts 20 & 155, Guilderland
Date:
September 16, 2017 - 8:30am - 12:00pm
Coordinator: Gary Goodness 862-9260 goodness@...

We will be looking for migrating Broad-winged Hawks that use the warming air thermals along the face of the escarpment to continue their migration south. Other raptors may be seen using the thermals for similar reasons. Osprey, Bald Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks, Sharp-shinned and Coopers Hawks are among those that can be seen soaring over the Helderbergs. Ruby-throated Hummingbirds also migrate over the escarpment very low and fast, sometimes making you feel like ducking down.
Meet in front of the bank at the southwest corner of Routes 20 and 155 in Guilderland at 8:30 a.m.

Leader or Speaker:
Tom & Colleen Williams
Location of Event:
Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center
Date:
September 17, 2017 - 7:30am - 12:00pm
Coordinators: Tom & Colleen Williams 857-2176 trwdsd@...
We will explore the Karner Barrens East unit, via the "yellow" perimeter trail, and "blue" dune
overlook trail. We will be looking for warblers, vireos, and kinglets. The dune overlook trail has a
moderate climb and descent. This is approximately a three mile loop. Take proper precautions
to avoid ticks.
map: http://www.albanypinebush.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/1-KBarrensEW-2-...
Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center parking lot, located at 195 New
Karner Rd. (Rt. 155) in Albany.

We hope to see you at one, or all, of these upcoming events!

Tom Williams
HMBC Field Trips