Wilson's Warbler - Swamp Rd.

jhershey2

I spent about 90 minutes this morning walking on Swamp Rd. in the Town of Saratoga looking mostly for butterflies.  I saw only 2 vehicles (pick-up trucks) on the road during this time.  Both drivers were friendly and stopped to talk.  The one gentleman generously allowed me to walk along the stream on his property where I found a beautiful Cardinal Flower (my first).  I just read that Cardinal Flowers are mostly pollinated by Ruby-throated Hummingbirds in the east.

 Afterwards I discovered a Wilson's Warbler in the brush along the road.  Songbird migration is definitely in progress.  Other birds along the road that I remember include 2 Green Herons, 1 Great Blue Heron, Gray Catbird, American Goldfinch, Cedar Waxwing.  I posted a photo of the Wilson's Warbler for i.d. purposes and one of the Cardinal Flower on this yahoo group site.

John H.