Counting Common Nighthawks- 8/22

trwdsd

Four birders braved threatening skies on Tuesday evening, looking for migrating nighthawks ahead of the approaching storms. We counted only six, as individuals and two group of two. The best bird swooped in at 7:55pm below tree top level, coursed around the parking lot area just off the ground, and left after a minute in the fading light. We will observe again tomorrow beginning at 6:00pm at the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center on New Karner Rd. (Rt. 155) in Albany. Bring a chair and binoculars. The Preserve is hosting their annual "Drop-in Nighthawk Watch" program at 5:30pm, so expect a good group of skywatchers.

Tom Williams
Colonie