Upcoming Field Trips reminder

trwdsd

Just a reminder of two upcoming club events:

Sunday, August 20th- Peebles Island/Cohoes Flats
Leader- John Hershey

The wooded areas of Peebles Island are good for seeing a variety of songbirds including early migrant warblers. The river area and rocky flats around the island are usually good for Peregrine Falcon, Osprey, Bald Eagle as well as shore birds, herons, egrets, Chimney Swifts and ducks. From the meeting place, we will check out the Cohoes Flats and then consolidate vehicles before proceeding to Peebles Island since there is a fee for each car entering.
Meet at the NY State Dam Recreation area behind the U-Haul Rental in Cohoes at 8:30 a.m. From 787 going north, turn right onto Route 470 (Ontario Street) in Cohoes. Then turn left onto Clark Ave. and proceed to the end.

Tuesday through Thursday, August 22nd-24th- Counting Common Nighthawks
Leaders- Tom and Colleen Williams

The Common Nighthawk is a migrant aerial insectivore that feeds at dusk and dawn. It breeds throughout much of North America, although in decline as it is no longer observed during the summer in many urban and suburban areas.
In the Capital Region, the bulk of fall migration occurs from mid-August until early September with the peak around August 24-25th. Continuing an informal project that was begun in 2012, we will observe the skies each evening (weather permitting) between the 22nd and 24th of August, recording our sightings for a final summary. We will conduct our viewing from the parking lot at the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center, located on Rt. 155 (New Karner Road) in Albany. Bring a chair and binoculars. We will begin each night at 6:00 p.m.

Visit the club website at hmbc.net for more information.

Tom Williams
Colonie