Little Blue Heron and friends: eBird Report - Lock 2 Mechanicville, Aug 1, 2017

Ronald Harrower

Lock 2 Mechanicville, Saratoga, New York, US
Aug 1, 2017 11:50 AM - 12:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
Comments: Came down to check out the Egret situation, having seen 7 two days ago. I came into view of the marshes and could see immediately that there was a smaller white wader with the Great Egrets. With long lens, I was able to identify the bird as an immature Little Blue Heron.
16 species

Canada Goose 100
American Black Duck 10
Mallard 65
Double-crested Cormorant 3
Great Blue Heron 5
Great Egret 10
Little Blue Heron 1 When scanning the numerous Great Egrets, I saw immediately that there was a much smaller white bird. Closer examination revealed it to be an immature little Blue Heron. had one in same area last year at this time of year.
Spotted Sandpiper 3
Solitary Sandpiper 1
Ring-billed Gull 45
Herring Gull 2