eBird Report - Stillwater School Nature Trail, Jul 31, 2017

Ronald Harrower

As with other Saratoga County birders who've chimed in lately, this spot is like finding Shangri-la. I walked down to the river, then parallel to river, then started up the far side of the swamp. You can tell that the trail was flooded by July's heavy rains. It became too difficult to go further, so I turned around. Lots of Wood Pewees, a Wood Thrush, and a Broad-winged Hawk. My main attention thereafter was the gravelly main path. Heard 2 Least Bitterns, saw and heard at least 3 Green Herons, had a flyover Wilson's Snipe calling and a beaver that splashed then swam around keeping an eye on me. I think the little openings in the vegetation on both sides if the trail are beaver "portages" between the two swamp parcels.
Like others, I am looking forward to migration!
Ron

Stillwater School Nature Trail, Saratoga, New York, US
Jul 31, 2017 8:10 AM - 9:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: Beautiful morning with temps in mid 60's and a few clouds. Went all the way into the woods and started up the far side of swamp before water over trail made me turn back. Walked slowly on main swamp trail and had a great time, including having an eye to eye with a beaver.
38 species

Wood Duck 9
Least Bittern 2 Heard one on left shortly onto trail. The other was on the right almost at the woods. No views
Great Blue Heron 1
Green Heron 3 Heard and saw. Could have been more
Broad-winged Hawk 1 Flew right over me when I was coming back out of the woods
Virginia Rail 1
Wilson's Snipe 1 Flew parallel with the trail calling the whole time
Ring-billed Gull 1
Mourning Dove 4
Black-billed Cuckoo 1 Calling dense southern side of trail
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1