Great Egret blitz, Saratoga Co.

Naomi Lloyd

I took a run up north today to check out Amy's Park in Bolton, hoping to find the Red Crossbills being seen there. I dipped on them and it was generally very quiet (except for Red-eyed Vireos). Got nice looks at Magnolia and Pine Warblers and nearly suffered a Ruffed Grouse-induced heart attack. A singing Winter Wren at the end of my walk was a nice addition. Good trails, but habitat and species were not all that different from the Rensselaer Plateau closer to home.

On the way back I stopped at Wright's Loop which is overgrown and barely damp, but did find one Great Egret hunting. At Champlain Canal Lock 2 south of Waterford, six more GREG stalked the shores. Checked carefully but no Snowys or Little Blues - keeping my fingers crossed.

The water is finally going down at Cohoes Flats. Lots of exposed rock today, but nothing using it except several hundred RBGU and one Spotted Sandpiper. The new Rt 32 bridge is open and it appears there will be access to the good shorebird overlook at the Spillway once work is completed.

Good birding!

Naomi Lloyd
West Sand Lake