Re: Least Bittern and Barred Owls -- stillwater elementary school trail

gregg_recer

thanks susan and mona for cluing us in on this nice marsh access in stillwater. Cathy Graichen and I took a walk down there this evening for about an hour. We had glimpses of 2 least bitterns -- one briefly flying across the open marsh, and then one flying out of the marsh on the north side and crossing the trail to the heavier vegetation on the south side. Also of note were a green heron, and many E. pheobes and E. kingbirds.

remarkable that we had no idea this trail and marsh area existed. It has the look of a compact version of vischer ferry, with nice forest between the marsh and the river. Look like a good place to check out during migration.

gregg recer
malta