Black-billed Cuckoos, Old Chatham

Naomi Lloyd

I birded the Wilson Powell Sanctuary today with the Alan Devoe bird club. Things were as quiet as one might expect in mid-July, with the day's highlight being two Black-billed Cuckoos calling and moving around through the trees. I tallied 45 species (missed a few) including Blue-winged, Pine, and Chestnut-sided Warblers, Savannah Sparrows, and a flyover pair of Green Herons.

If you've never been there, the Sanctuary is on the south side of Hunt Club Rd. The extensive field across the road are owned by Little Brook Farm, and are open for public use. The landowner has mowed a system of trails to expose spectacular vistas across the Hudson Valley. It's well worth a walk through.

The water level is still high at Cohoes Flats with little exposed rock. A few Spotted Sandpipers and a Least/Semipalm foraged on the spillway and a family of three Ospreys are hanging out there too.

Naomi Lloyd
West Sand Lake