HMBC Field Trip - Fox Hill Road

jhershey2

Six birders met at the Saratoga Airport this morning at 7:30 after which we birded along Desolation Lake Rd. and Fox Hill Rd. for the rest of the morning.  Highlights from the airport include Wild Turkey, Horned Lark, Barn Swallow, Eastern Bluebird, Savannah Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, and Indigo Bunting.  Moving on to the higher elevation habitat on Fox Hill Rd. we found 11 warbler species: Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Yellow-rumped, Blackburnian, Black-and-white, Ovenbird, Northern Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat, and Canada Warbler (2).  These warblers were mostly heard and not seen.  Other species included Ruffed Grouse, Broad-winged Hawk, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Alder Flycatcher, Least Flycatcher, Great Crested Flycatcher, Blue-headed Vireo, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Brown Creeper, Winter Wren, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Hermit Thrush, Scarlet Tanager, Eastern Towhee, Dark-eyed Junco, and Purple Finch.  Big misses for the trip were Mourning Warbler and Swainson's Thrush which we had earlier in the week while scouting.  Counting Killdeer at the airport, the final tally for the morning was 60 species.  Further details will be reported soon by other participants on ebird.

John Hershey