Bog Meadow Brook Trail goodies 6/7

Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval@...>

Happy that it finally stopped raining and hoping a few migrants were taking the opportunity to move again, I wandered Bog Meadow Brook Trail for a few hours this morning. I found the trail quite flooded, even from the Lake Avenue/Rt 29 side and the other side is not passable at all - I didn't even dare wade through the water around the other boardwalk. The flooded trail was great for seeing a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH carrying food! However, I could not find any of the Virginia Rails - if they had nests they certainly do not now.

I did find some movement! I had a YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER flycatching in the transitional zone (from marsh to woods) where the Canada Warblers hang out (they were there), doing both vocalizations. A BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER could be found by the spur trail. Deeper into the woods I had a SWAINSON'S THRUSH call. A YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER came by briefly. Those woods are loaded with resident Veerys right now, and in a group of them I heard a GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH sing!

Otherwise, things are as they should be there, very birdy overall with some fledglings here and there and Wood Ducks out of nowhere to nearly give me a heart attack.

- Lindsey D.