Strawberry Fields preserve

Ellen

Saturday morning I went to the grand opening of a new nature preserve, privately owned but open to the public in association with the Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy: Strawberry Fields Farm & Nature Preserve. Located at 240 Cranes Hollow Road in the Town of Amsterdam, it offers views of the Mohawk Valley, open fields, woods, and wetlands, and features over 200 plant species. I walked the southern portion of the perimeter trail with a group. Bird species included Field Sparrow, Eastern Towhee, Blue-winged Warbler, Ovenbird, Chestnut-sided and Yellow Warbler, Eastern Wood Pewee, Scarlet Tanager, Bobolink, Red-eyed Vireo, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, and Pileated Woodpecker. I look forward to exploring the rest of the trail, and hope that other birders will check it out.

Please note that while the nature trail is open to the public from dawn to dusk, it is closed on 4th of July weekend. Also, visitors are asked to stay on designated trails and respect the privacy of the homeowners. More info is available at a kiosk near the parking area.

Ellen
West Charlton