Yeah, thanks!

Naturally I wondered the same, but whether Strix varia or nebulosa, what can be deduced from the lack of footprints in the reported area?

Nothing.

On Dec 8, 2014, at 5:35 PM, Bill Cook wrote:

Will Yandik suspects that it was a misidentified Barred Owl based on the original email.

-----Original Message-----
From: Timothy O'Connor [mailto:omoo3@...]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 12:10 PM
To: Drew Hopkins; Chris Franks; Bill Cook
Cc: patrick@...; richjack115@...; NYSBIRDS-L@...; hmbirds@...
Subject: Great Gray Owl Not Found

All -

Whether or not the owl is somewhere in the wider vicinity, this alleged observation was very carelessly mapped.

A difficult site to get to, for hours I searched in vain for human tracks in the old, crunchy snow.

No one's walked anywhere near the spot marked on the Google map.

Perhaps it was a hoax, like the recent claim of Spruce Grouse in the Helderbergs.

- TO'C