White Pelican

grossman.bernard

I, too, noted Bruce Dudek's post concerning the White Pelican seen just up river of the Rexford Bridge at 7 AM this morning. I crossed the bridge this morning at 8:55 AM and looked for the bird on the up river spoils islands. Nothing was visible. About half way across the bridge, I saw a large white bird circling to gain altitude above the rowing club barn. It was the pelican, and field points such as flight posture, bill shape, white body color, and black trailing wing edge color were clearly visible. I was able to watch the bird make a couple of circles before I had to drive on. It seemed to be heading east or downriver. Having just seen Brown Pelicans flying along the coast at Ventura, CA, there was no question in my mind about my ID.