To: alanmapes@...
From: birderjory@...
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 07:29:00 -0400
Subject: Re: [HMBirds] Bobolink question

Audubon is in alignment with Al.

Nonetheless If you google "Audubon mowing" there are some suggestions for farmers to lessen the impact of mowing.

Jory Langner
Delmar

Sent from my iPhone

On May 17, 2013, at 6:49 AM, Alan Mapes <alanmapes@...> wrote:

My guess - they are paired, have built nests, and might even have some eggs
layed - but no young hatched yet. Unfortunately, getting the best nutrition
value from hay is not compatible with the nesting of most hay field birds.

Alan Mapes
New Scotland

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 5:11 AM, Naomi Lloyd <naomi_kestrel@...>wrote:

**

Does any one know if Bobolinks are nesting already, or if they're still
forming pairs and setting up territory? I've been seeing them in my
neighbor's hayfield for a week or so, and he mowed the fields yesterday.
I'd hate to think the nests were lost. I know there's a suggested schedule
for haying to avoid disturbing nests, but unfortunately he's not very
approachable.

Naomi Lloyd
West Sand Lake

http://kestrelhill.wordpress.com/