Rescuing "accidentals"

omoo3

To be precise, the Cohoes white pelican was first seen in Hudson, NY, on August 8th (I recognize the gray markings on the neck as the same bird). I only wish that the frigatebird would turn up in Cohoes too.

Sometime back in the '80s, an emaciated burrowing owl turned up on Long Island, along a wintery barrier beach. The bird was rescued, and an arrangement was made with an airlines to fly it back to Miami International Airport, where it hopefully lived happily ever after.

It's always such a kick to see burrowing owls from a plane window along the Miami tarmac.